Greensboro United Tryouts / Evaluations
Tryouts are for any player U11 through U19 wishing to play for a Select or Classic team.
Players wanting to join the U8-U10 Junior Academy should come to the Academy Evaluations.
Tryout Fees increase to $45 on 5/11/2016
Interested in helping at tryouts - http://vols.pt/y8XyBM
We understand that the tryout and evaluation processes can be confusing for both the player and the parent. This page and the links to the right will serve in eliminating that confusion and making the tryout process easy! Please read through the information and if you have questions, do not hesitate to email or call.
When registering, please remember if you are an existing GUSA player to use your current account! Everyone should register and pay for tryouts prior to the day of the tryouts.
Where do I go for tryouts?
This year we are offering tryouts at 3 different locations (Bryan Park, Summerfield Athletic Park and Gibson Park) on the first night for the U11-U14 players. Then on the second night everyone will go to Bryan Park. By doing this we are able to allow our players to choose their preferred training location. Going to Bryan Park on the second night allows the age group director to evaluate all players for all teams.
Here are some frequently asked questions:
1) Does this mean there is no more GUSA NORTH or GUSA SOUTH? Yes, we are now offering GUSA SOR (Summerfield, Oakridge and Proehlific Park), GUSA HPJ (High Point and Jamestown) and GUSA GSO (Smith soccer Complex and all other GUSA facilities).
2) If GUSA SOR or HPJ is not offering a Dynamo team and I tryout at SOR or HPJ can I still make the Dynamo team? Yes, on the second night all players will tryout at Bryan Park and the age group directors will evaluate you at that time. This is also the same in reverse. If the team at SOR or HPJ will be a higher level team then you may be asked to play there if you are at the same level.
It is important to remember that your location is a preference, GUSA reserves the right to offer team placement at any location to any player.
If you are a U11 - U14 that is wanting to practice at Smith then you will go to Bryan Park for both tryout nights.
If you are a U11 - U14 that wants to practice at Summerfield Athletic Park, Proehlific Park or in Oak Ridge, then you will go to Summerfield Athletic Park on your first night of tryouts and to Bryan Park on the second night.
If you are a U11 - U14 that wants to practice at Gibson Park or in High Point, then you will go to Gibson Park on your first night of tryouts and to Bryan Park on the second night.
How long are tryouts and do I have to come both nights?
Each tryout will last 1.5 hours and your participation at both tryouts is required.
What do I bring to tryouts?
What if I want to play up an age group?
- NCYSA Medical Waiver - Please fill out completely, leaving the team name and jersey number blank. Then bring the original and a copy with you the night of your first tryout.
- Birth Certificate - You will need to upload this to your accout. Click the “pencil” icon next to player’s name – under DOB, click the “Upload Birth Certificate” button – upload the doc – click UPDATE at the bottom of the screen to SAVE the upload (otherwise the upload will disappear).
- Photo - Bring a 1.5 x 1.5 color headshot picture of the player for the player card – similar to driver license size. Must be printed on photo paper, taken within the last six months, no hats or sunglasses. A small school photo works very well. Please print player's name on the back of the photo
- Player Equipment - Bring a properly inflated ball, cleats, shin guards and water.
- Dues assistance form filled out (if applicable)
In accordance with the new U.S. Soccer Federation mandates that are mandatory for the 2016-2017 season, all players will now register based on their calendar birth year. For example any player born from January 1st-December 31st of 2003 will be a 2003 player for next year. This is a change from the current August 1st-July 31st age group cut off dates. Obviously this will result in many players changing age groups. Please keep in mind that this is a mandate from the U.S. Soccer Federation and not a GUSA club decision.
Any player who wishes to be evaluated and have the opportunity to try out “up” an age group, must submit this request in writing(email) to Forrest Collier, the Director of Soccer for Greensboro United.(firstname.lastname@example.org) Decisions on allowing players to “play up” will be based on what is best for each players individual development and therefor will not be granted to all who make these requests. In many cases these players may be asked to try out once with their actual birth year and once with the older age group. Ultimately we will look to place all players in levels of play that are developmentally appropriate. That is the fastest path to each player reaching his or her own highest potential and enjoying the appropriate balance between success and challenge.
All tryout information, including dates, times and locations for all age groups is posted to the website, so please note them in your calendar. We look forward to seeing everyone at tryouts later this spring!
Director of Soccer
Greensboro United Soccer Association